Senior Manager - VAT
As an Indirect Tax Senior Manager, you will be afforded the opportunity to lead the Qatar VAT Practice, develop capacity, and provide expertise and guidance for our clients preparing for the impending introduction of VAT in Qatar. You will combine your technical skills and practical experience across industries and geographies to provide tailored advice to a number of local and international clients. This will include identifying risk areas and sustainable planning opportunities for indirect taxes throughout the tax life cycle. You will be involved in VAT Impact and Readiness assessments for both tax administrations and taxpayers and be closely involved in VAT implementation projects in Qatar & Bahrain.
- Build and maintain tax relationships with clients and provide high levels of client service
- Build relationships both within the firm and externally with clients, identifying opportunities and managing expectations
- Manage the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach taken
- Key member of one of the client service groups providing full tax services to a client portfolio
- Work effectively as a member of a worldwide network of professional advisors, sharing responsibility, providing support, maintaining communication and updating senior team members on progress
- Collaborate with a team of customs and international trade professionals to combine diverse cross-border transaction experience with local tax knowledge across a broad spectrum of industries
- To prepare for the potential introduction of VAT in Qatar & Bahrain and to discuss with existing and new clients on how this may impact them
- To be part of a team responsible for advisory work on VAT impact assessments, VAT readiness programs and VAT implementation projects
- To develop and lead VAT training programs for both internal teams and externally to tax administrations and the business community
- To build a deep understanding of the Gulf Corporation Council ("GCC") VAT Framework Agreement Law and its practical application across the GCC member states with particular emphasis on an EU intra state model that will apply in the GCC
- To identify and discuss VAT considerations for clients to be aware of in their outbound investments
- To engage with colleagues in overseas offices to deliver VAT advice in respect of global jurisdictions
- To build a deep understanding of the Gulf Corporation Council ("GCC") Customs Law and its practical application across the GCC member states
- To understand and apply the regional Free Trade Agreements
- To understand and apply key customs concepts such as valuation, classification and origin
- To work with internal teams to provide indirect tax expertise for audit and transaction projects
- Help people to develop through effective supervision, coaching and mentoring of staff
- Conduct performance reviews and contribute to performance feedback for staff
- Contribute to people initiatives, including recruiting, retaining and training indirect tax professionals
- Maintain an educational program to develop personal skills on an ongoing basis
- Understand and follow workplace policies and procedures
- Currently within a senior indirect tax position with over 8 years' experience.
- Experience working for a Big 4 accounting firm is preferred.
- VAT advisory experience is essential.
- VAT implementation experience is desirable.
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant field (MBA, Masters of Tax, JD and LLM a plus) with strong academic credentials
- ACA/CA/ Law qualification / CTA (or equivalent tax qualification)
- Client focused and commercially aware with ability to build strong client relationships
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including both written and oral English
- Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review
- Team player with ability to build effective relationships at all levels externally and internally.
- Project management skills, plan and prioritize work, meet deadlines, manage own budget
- Ability to solve problems creatively and pragmatically
- Arabic language skills considered an advantage but not necessary